HFI Connect

User Experience News, Blogs, and Videos

I am getting ready to sign-up for the Fast-track training, probably tomorrow (self-pay, ouch, but I know it will be worth it).

What suggestions would you have to optimize my learning. I think the most difficult question to ask is the one you don't know to ask until something is over. Is there anything you would have done differently about the Fast-Track training or the examination? Thank you for any input you can provide.

Views: 218

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Art, I took all 4 classes within about a 5 month span of time then took the exam about a month after my last class. The piece of advice I'd give you is before you go to each class, review the concepts and materials from your previous classes. And use the materials in your day-to-day work as much as possible. Just keep up to day as much and as many ways as you can with the class material until the certification exam. I would've done more of that, so when I studied for and took the exam the concepts I learned 5 months ago were more fresh in my head.

Best of luck to you!
Not certain if the course materials have changed or not since I've taken the class. I found the course materials a bit disorganized from the perspective of trying to use them while reviewing for the exam - no Table of Contents. I found it helpful to create a master table of contents for each class so that I could find the content quickly.
Karin,

Thank you. I'll bring page tabs and lots of highlighters. I'll try your TOC idea also.
Art,

Yes it'll do you good if you keep some sticky notes & highlighter handy when you're revising.
But more importantly create a TOC. This is really useful.
All the best!
Sindhu
Even I found the same. But I've taken it in Bangalore, India. UCA, UCD, UT, and PRP material's TOCs are arranged differently. Lot of spelling errors, some text are hidden behind the images etc.I felt the presenters are also not up to the mark. They lack experience in training. I've registered the course after reviewing the presenters' profile but none of these people are there in the actual training. And the training are quite expensive also. Even the CUA exam, I felt the exam centre is quite noisy, people are running around, telephone bells... I could not even concentrate during the exam. I felt that I've wasted the money. This is purely my feedback. Basically my expectation was not met.
Katie,

Thank you. My plan is immersion via the Fast-track. The Fast track ends on a Friday and the exam is on a Tuesday. I will put everything else on hold (except for my wife ;). This seems like the perfect timing since I'm between jobs.

I've been doing UX / UI / IA for a non-profit for the last 7 1/2 years with no formal training other than my psychology. I'm a big reader, so considering my lack of formal training I feel like I've laid a solid groundwork. Can I ask what your background is and if you feel the CUA has been recognized as an asset in your career?

I really appreciate your comments. If you care to, here's my web site, www.ArtZippel.com
I've been building case to fast-track my CUA training as well. My only concern is that it overwhelms me so much that taking a test at the end means FAIL!
Yeah, I have some performance anixety regarding the test also. My take is get real serious in the classroom, do nothing but study in the evenings, cram for the test and then after the test which I have been told grades you instantly...to start drinking to regain my sanity back. Hopefully I'll be drinking out of joy. If not I can take the test again.

Good luck to you.

Can you tell me more about what you do? Here's a better picture of what I do, www.artzippel.com.

Thanks,
Art
My advice for the day of the test is to watch your time. Once you complete a section, you cannot go back. I spent way too much time on the first section, trying to verify all my answers and then had to short change myself on the other sections.

Also, I joined a study group. We only met a couple of times but it helped to make sure I understood the concepts.
Meri,

That is great advice because I can see myself forgetting to budget my time as I work to make every answer perfect.

What kind of experience/education in your field did you have before this certification?
Thank you, Art
Think about how to apply training topics to your work.
Pamela,

I completely agree. I learn best by being able to apply theoretical concepts to specific situations that I am familiar with.

Thank you,
Art

RSS

Photos

• Add Photos

Discussion Groups

© 2014   Human Factors International

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service